COVID-19: All club activities suspended

The committee regret to inform you that we are suspending all official club events until further notice.

For more information, read our most recent email.

WBMC go 3 Peaks crazy

April coach meet report

John Edwards

The April coach certainly cocked a snook at the idea reported in the last Newsletter to make WBMC the premier rambling club in the West Midlands, with 20 out of the 45 passengers completing the Yorkshire Three Peaks – a ramble in nobody’s books!

Eleven people attempted & completed the ‘Classic’ route from Horton-in-Ribblesdale back to Horton. Chris Dean, Mark Stevens & Graeme Stanford ran much of the 25 mile route (with 7,522 feet of ascent) to finish in 7 hrs 28 mins, in spite of spending 30 mins in The Old Hill Inn over cups of tea! Dave & Sheila Nock and Wayne Whitehouse took 8½ hours to complete the same route while Simon Grove, Adrian Shaw & Phil Smith, Geordie Hind & David Jones made up an “over 50’s” team (all bar one!) that finished in 9 hrs 2 mins (av. speed 2.9 mph).

9 members with a combined age of 485 years completed the challenge by the slightly shorter ‘linear’ route, alighting from the coach at Ribblehead Viaduct at 11.05am and getting back to the pub in Horton at 7.50pm.

In decreasing age order, the people who made this 8¾ hours completion were Mike Smith, John Edwards, Emily Smith, Hilary Jones, Dee Sehdeva, Liz Perks, Mark Edwards, Neil Parsons & David Doherty. Dave Hellyar, Sanjay Choughan, Nick Akers & James Lambert (on his first meet) did most of the route with them but decided to give Penyghent a miss, along with John Wagstaffe who had to get back to his car at the Viaduct to head back east.

Elsewhere Andy Brown did a long route out to Darnbrook Fell via Penyghent & Plover Hill & Rob Thomas, John Harris, Pat Potter, Bob Jackson, Dave Hough, John Dale and John & Linda Howells did various routes involving Penyghent. Good to see El Presidente John Eadon back on the coach again and able to summit Ingleborough with Nigel Tarr after 12 months of hip problems. John Harris, Alison Whitehead & John Lowe walked from Ingleton to Horton over “the big hill” while Hazel Webb, Andy Wright & Chan Webster walked over it from Ribblehead to Gaping Ghyll. I can’t recall what route Helen Fisher, Tony Emms & Tony Clukton took but Mark Wood used the fine day to get some photographs.

Oh! and Alison W (Hut Sec) & Nick A respectively won the seat & Grand National raffles so you know who to go to if you feel like ‘blagging’ a drink. Thanks to Nigel for organising the day (and for going home to fetch the route book - ooops!) and our 2 Yorkshire drivers who got us back to Edward St at 20 mins past midnight. A very successful and memorable day on the hills.

This article was written by John Edwards and published on this website on the 13th April 2015