Benefits of being a WBMC Member
By John Edwards
THE MANY BENEFITS OF WBMC MEMBERSHIP
- Opportunity to use the Club’s hut in Snowdonia at a greatly reduced rate of over 50% of what non-member guests are expected to pay – just a few ££ a night.
- Reduced priced seat on the monthly coach meet.
- Opportunity to participate in a wide range of outdoor & indoor social events, including camping, climbing and peak-bagging trips in the UK & abroad, Thursday night illustrated talks with mountaineering themes as well as Home & Away Dinner weekends / evenings.
- The chance to learn new skills from others without having to attend expensive courses eg winter mountaineering skills, including use of crampons & ice axe on the Scottish Winter Week or navigation &/or scrambling skills at special weekends at the Hut.
- Periodical cycling, running, canoeing & surfing weekends.
- Regular indoor climbing at Midlands venues.
- Monthly mid-week ‘Boots & Beers’ walks at various Midlands venues.
- You get a 15% discount off gear you buy at Cotswold Outdoor.
- As a member of WBMC you immediately become an associate member of the British Mountaineering Council and, as such, you have valuable insurance cover should you unintentionally do something which injures, disables or kills a third party on the crags or hills – very important!
- You have access to the BMC’s personal worldwide travel insurance, which covers adventurous activities and trips at high altitudes.
- You receive the Spring copy of “Summit”, the British Mountaineering Council’s full colour magazine, packed with interesting articles on climbing, scrambling & hill walking, plus the opportunity to receive Summer, Autumn & Winter editions if you pay a small upgrade fee to full BMC membership.
- Opportunity to stay at the huts of certain other BMC-affiliated clubs in the Pennines, Wales or Scotland.
- Opportunity to make new friends with similar interests.
- If you want to know a bit more about the history of the Club check out our entry in Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Bromwich_Mountaineering_Club
Sign up to our newsletter
Find out what our members get up to and read about past and upcoming events by signing up to our club newsletter, edited by John Edwards.